12 Toasty Tips For Staying Warm In Cold Weather
Using these tips, you can stay warm no matter how frightful the weather outside gets.
- Bundle Up - It's easier to change your body temperature than room temperature, not to mention more eco-friendly. Instead of turning up the heat, put on another layer of clothing.
- Wear a hat - You actually lose 80 percent of your body heat through your head so put on your hat, even if you’re inside.
- Turn on a ceiling fan - Warm air rises to the ceiling so run your fan on the lowest setting in a clockwise direction to push the warm air back down.
- Switch between hot and cold water in the shower - Hot showers immediately warm you up, but cold showers improve blood circulation and correlate with a stronger immune system.
- Block drafts with a pool noodle - Keep heat in and cold out by cutting a pool noodle in half lengthwise, wrapping it in fabric, and slide it under your door.
- Programmable thermostat - Stay toasty on a schedule so you never go home to a room colder than outside.
- Trick a locked thermostat - If you don’t have access to your apartment or office thermostat, outsmart the device by putting ice near it to make it “think” the room is colder than it actually is.
- Dress your windows up in warmer clothes - Replace your thin curtains with heavier wool or fleece drapes in the winter.
- Go ahead, bake all day - Using your oven can heat up the whole house.
- Start composting - The breakdown of organic material produces heat.
- Layer your covers with the thinnest, densest ones on top - Put your heavier blankets closer to your skin and top with thin blankets to prevent convective heat loss.
- Stuff your coat pockets with DIY hand warmers - You could buy or make hand warmers (2 Ziploc bags, water, and calcium chloride ice melt pellets from the hardware store).
* Courtesy of http://mentalfloss.com